Thursday 1 November 2018

Wild sea

The sea was pretty rough, but its pale blue colour was so inviting that I couldn’t help myself; I jumped gaily into it and forgot completely about my past experiences regarding swimming in the wild sea. The last time that I swam in such conditions was 3 years ago, when a wave hit me so hard against the rocks that I almost drowned. After that, I sweared to myself that I would never put myself in such danger again. But now I was in a caribbean island, one in which the heat was so extreme that my brain could not take sensible decisions.

Despite the fierce movements of the water, I was feeling at ease with the world and its tribulations. The caribbean had that effect on my system, it was a powerful drug with no secundary effects. But then I heard the screams.
She was at least 20 meters away from me. She was drowning. Suddenly, I recalled the day when I was swimming with a friend of mine in an equally fearsome sea. We were trying to get out of it, but it seemed like it was going to swallow us. I finally scaped from the merciless element, but my friend could not make it. She was crying for help, but I was terrified. So much, in fact, that I barely could move. Fear took hold of me for good. I would never see her again; only her ghost. It will haunt me forever.

This time I was determined to do whatever it was necessary to save the girl. I reached her and grabbed her waist as strongly as I could; then I swam almost blindly until we touched bottom. When we did, some people came to us and helped me to lay her down. We proceeded to wake her up and after a few minutes, she opened her eyes and spit part of the water that she had swallowed.

I left the place, feeling both disturbed and relieved. This event helped me to redeem myself somehow and overcome the trauma that scarred me for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment